Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: New keybinding suggestion: C-x _ for `shrink-window'
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 23:51:32 +0000

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> Too bad. You appear to have "improved" it to the point of regress. ;-)
>
> I see regress too.  I think the up key should move the only movable
> horizontal border up, and the down key should move the only movable
> horizontal border down; the left key should move the only movable
> vertical border left, and the right key should move the only movable
> vertical border right.

This is precisely what I tried to do at first.

I should better have used this very clear notion of "movable border",
but continuing the outwards move of a border with the inwards move of
the opposite border (when the first border cannot move further) boils
down to the same.

I removed this "continuous" moving in 0.3 because you said:

> it would be better to use one set of keys (e.g. arrows) to resize the
> right/bottom window border, and another set of keys (e.g. M-arrows or
> S-arrows) to resize the opposite left/top window border (while using
> M-arrows or S-arrows to switch windows).

... making me think it might be better to separate border moves and
opposite borders moves.

Anyway, 0.4 now implements what you proposed.

> When there are two movable borders then I think up/down keys should
> move the bottom border up/down, and left/right keys should move the
> right border left/right, and M-up/down keys should move the top border
> up/down, and M-left/right keys should move the left border left/right.
> Isn't this the most natural behavior?

This is now the default behavior in windresize.el 0.4:

  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~guerry/u/windresize.el

> Since mindmove have the Shift modifier by default, windresize should use
> the same modifier.  When the user modifies the mindmove modifier, it would
> be good if windresize used the same mindmove modifier as customized by
> the user.

Let's use M-S-<arrows> for now, since windmove keys will maybe change.

I will let the dust settle a bit now.  Thanks for the clear idea of
movable border.

--
Bastien