Re: disappearing custom menu

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: disappearing custom menu
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 07:25:49 -0500

    If that is the case, then there's something wrong with the mechanism to
    set the map. The menu does not disappear when the point is moved to the
    field (and does not appear when the point is moved out of the field). It
    disappears when trying to click on it, this is strange for the users.

In some sense it would be logical for it to disappear when you move
point into the field.  That does not happen because mere cursor motion
doesn't recompute the menus.  It would be possible to implement that,
but it might slow Emacs down a lot.

However, to have the menu bar item appear and disappear as you move
point would also look strange.  I am not so sure it is really the
right thing.

A different solution occurs to me: arrange for the menu bar item
to be active in these active fields too.  Why not?

The editable field needs to turn off the RET binding and other special
key bindings of Custom mode.  But it does not need to turn off
the menu bar item.

What do people think of this?