Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: parallel bootstrap failure; _prompt_? during bootstrap build
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:04:41 -0500

    I don't know what to explain: if we assume the input (from stdin) to be
    "text" rather than "binary data", then there needs to be
    a decoding step.

    Maybe you should explain why you think there shouldn't be such a thing?

That's not quite what I said.

The input from stdin to a batch program should not be thought of as
keyboard input.  It is just as likely to come from a file or some
other program.

Perhaps it should be decoded somehow, but not the decoding should not
be based on keyboard-coding-system.