RE: Calling occur from within isearch

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Calling occur from within isearch
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:38:15 -0800

> >> This is possible with the following patch.  I'm still not sure
> >> whether it is better to quit isearch before calling occur or not.
> >> Anyway, it works without quitting isearch, and displays the results
> >> of occur in another window.
> >
> > That is nice. I see no reason to end isearch, that is easy to
> do afterwards.
>
> Wouldn't it be more nice if the current search line was also highlighted
> in the *Occur* buffer in sync with the position in the original buffer?

Yes. It's enough to highlight the line number (of the current search line).
And any such highlighting should be temporary in some way.

FWIW, I use code that highlights the line number after you visit the line -
a la visited links in Info or on Web pages. I find it helps me keep track of
what I've already looked at.

Code: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/replace%2b.el.
Doc: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/ReplacePlus.