Re: Minibuffer default values list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Minibuffer default values list
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 10:05:37 -0500

>     mailcap.el is located in the gnus directory, but it doesn't depend
>     on Gnus.  It doesn't load Gnus-specific files.

> We should move it.  Where -- `lisp/mail'?  I am not sure, because
> Dired's ! command has nothing to do with mail.

> I suspect that there is a part of mailcap.el that is not specific to
> mail, and that that is the part Dired uses.  Is that the case?

mailcap deals with MIME types and takes its name from the "mail
capabilities" stored in the /etc/mailcap file to decide what to do for
any given attachment given its MIME type.

Now all this was mail-specific at the beginning, but MIME types are now
used for much more than "MIME" and so none of it is specific to mail
any more.

        Stefan