Re: Emacs.app (Cocoa/GNUstep port) release and feature list

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Emacs.app (Cocoa/GNUstep port) release and feature list
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:38:38 +0300

> In general: do you support the established Mac specific customization
> variables? In particular:
>
> > - Keyboard handling: Support platform "Command" key as "Super".
>
> Is this a default, and can it be changed using `mac-command-modifier'?

The Cocoa port has "ns-command-modifier", the difference relating to
Mac-and-GNUstep vs. Mac-only -- but there's no reason the Cocoa port
can't add aliases that are more intuitive or follow conventions on the
Mac.

> > - Customization: Preferences panel for major GUI settings.
>
> There is no way to customize these dialogs via Lisp, i.e. add new
> options?
> While I find the UI approach very good, I think that a lack of
> interaction with the Lisp side of things would be rather un-Emacs-like.

They are completely optional.  .emacs settings take precedence in conflicts.

> Secondly, why introduce yet another system to store (rather than just
> load) Emacs-specific configuration variables?
> There  is `custom-file', and users can edit their .emacs.

It's just easier/quicker to use (in some people's opinion).
Personally I use customize and direct .emacs editing a lot, but for
quick UI customization still prefer the prefs dialog, font panel,
etc..

> - does your port run from anywhere in the system like any good
> application? The current Carbon port (including 22.1) crashes when
> started from directories with non-7-bit ASCII path names, such as /
> Applications/Développement/

A quick check here revealed no problems, maybe it's a difference from
the unicode branch..

> - does your port play nice with multi-screen setups, especially when
> screens are of different size? The Carbon port doesn't.

There were a couple of bugs with new frame creation and popup menus
but these have been fixed.  Could be other problems, I haven't really
tried w/diff sizes.

> - does your port take care to not open frames underneath the Dock (or
> otherwise) or enlarge them too much when changing font sizes?
> (Aquamacs / Carbon has trouble with this at the moment)

This was improved with the rc3 release.  The questionable cases that
remain are those where it's hard to choose one behavior over another.

> PS.: I can't run rc3 on my 10.5.1. machine. It quits immediately. If
> you need more info, let me know.

It would be great if you could send whatever info you can here (crash
log, gdb backtrace).  I don't have access to any Leopard machines,
probably won't for a while, but if it's something obvious from the
logs I can fix it.