Re: Emacs.app (Cocoa/GNUstep port) release and feature list

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: Emacs.app (Cocoa/GNUstep port) release and feature list
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:10:35 +0300

> > - Keyboard handling: Support platform "Command" key as "Super".

> I hope that this is customizable for people such as myself who are more
> familiar with Emacs than CUA and who find Apple's command and alt keys
> a bit too small and tend to have trouble hitting one of them rather than
> other and prefer to map them both to `meta'.

This is supported.

> > - Menus: Prefer Super bindings in display of shortcuts.
> >   This causes display of CUA bindings, similar to other platform apps.
>
> And of course, if the command->Super mapping is not used, these Super
> bindings should not appear in the menus (tho it wouldn't matter much
> for me).

This seems reasonable from a user perspective, and I was thinking of
making this a customizable setting.  Autodetermining based on modifier
setting is another possibility.  Neither is straightforward owing to
the fact the displayed menu key shortcuts are precomputed.

> I looked at the sourceforge page and I couldn't find the sources in
> the CVS.  Are you using a revision control system?  If not, why not, and
> especially why not just put it all in Emacs's CVS repository?  If yes,
> where is it?

This port maintained its own CVS for a while, but that was messing up
existing tags in emacs files and also making syncing with emacs CVS
difficult.  I know there are git and arch alternatives here, but
Richard has said he is OK with bringing this into the trunk after the
unicode merge and that seems like the best route for maintenance.  (A
branch is another possibility but that still leaves an ongoing merge
burden.)