Re: harmonize grep, occur and compile

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: harmonize grep, occur and compile
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:45:26 -0600

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 12:49:13 +0100 "Matzi Kratzi" <address@hidden> wrote:

MK> grep, occur and compile all enables the user to jump to postions in
MK> files or buffers. Occur has the ability to stay in the *occur*-buffer
MK> while showing the occurence point is at using
MK> occur-mode-display-occurrence. The line is centered in the buffer that
MK> occured was started from.

MK> It would be nice if this line could be highlighted as compile use to do.

MK> This way the user can do a broad occur and then walk around in the
MK> resulting buffer and cherrypick lines that he is interested in. It
MK> will the be easy to find this line in its original context.

I generally "walk around" the list of matches with next-error and
previous-error which work in all three types of buffers you are
interested in.  I've even mapped those to / and * on my keypad, I use
them so often.  You can use those commands in the original buffer,
without jumping to the list of matches.

I hope this helps.  It doesn't answer your highlighting question, but I
find I don't need highlighting when I just jump to the right location
every time.

Ted