Re: Fwd: Patch for sgml-mode.el

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Fwd: Patch for sgml-mode.el
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 14:55:50 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> Furthermore, it results in "mode-name" not being a string
>> for html buffers.
>
> I don't see a problem with that.  It's obviously been done on purpose.
> Please describe where it causes a problem so we can fix that spot.

I have being meaning to post about this.

See for example

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-11/msg00891.html

  From:   h1t
  Subject:    Bug in ibuffer-mark-by-mode-regexp function
  Date:       Wed, 14 Nov 2007 10:27:04 +0200

A quick grep for mode-name in lisp/ appears to show several places
that assume it is a string. It's documented as being a string, so I
would think at the very least should be a NEWS entry saying it might
not be any more.