Re: invisible

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: invisible
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:17:22 -0500

>>> Probably.
>> I don't think it would be significiantly better.  Since the text is
>> invisible, the user has generally no way to know whether she's inserting
>> text before or after the invisible text anyway.

> I think Stephen was talking about invisible text followed by visible
> text where the user (1) wants to insert text precisely at the beginning
> of the visible text and (2) probably wants to see new text while typing.

The point-adjustment already tries to move point to the non-sticky side
of an invisible text so that text inserted is indeed visible.
The rear-nonsticky change proposed above will just make both ends
non-sticky so the point-adjustment will not have a preference and will
sometimes choose one sometimes the other.

In general facemenu-set-invisible can't know whether the user will want
to insert text "precisely at the beginning of the visible text" or
"precisely at the end of the visible text".

This said, I think you're right: the rear-nonsticky property would be
beneficial for the case where the invisible text is shown as an
ellipsis, in which case the user can indeed choose where she inserts
the text.

        Stefan