Re: gnus/starttls.el and net/tls.el

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: gnus/starttls.el and net/tls.el
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:44:46 +0100

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> wrote:
> The problem is the different set of external dependencies:
>
>  tls.el: use gnutls-cli (GnuTLS) or s_client (OpenSSL)
>  starttls.el: use gnutls-cli (GnuTLS) or starttls
>
> As far as I can tell, OpenSSL does not support the general starttls
> behaviour, so we cannot switch to that tls.el and starttls.el both
> support gnutls+openssl.

I'm not sure that I properly understood the problem (and I haven't read
the whole thread), but OpenSSL supports StartTLS, like:

  openssl s_client -starttls smtp -connect mail.example.com

does this do what you need to support s_client in starttls.el?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : The sum of intelligence on earth is a constant;
             : population is growing