D-Bus integration into Emacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: D-Bus integration into Emacs
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:19:55 +0100

Hi,

I wrote some code to integrate D-Bus into Emacs. It's far from being
complete, but some basic functionality like synchronous method calls and
sending/receiving signals is running quite stable in my local
environment. At least it is sufficient to get an idea what it is and how
it works, I believe.

The implementation consists mainly of src/dbusbindings.c,
lisp/net/dbus.el and doc/misc/dbus.texi. All other modifications (in
src/Makefile.in, src/config.in, src/emacs.c, src/keyboard.c and
src/termhooks.h) are wrapped by the "#ifdef USE_DBUS" directive. This
macro is defined only if the Emacs configure script did run with
parameter "--with-dbus". By this, the D-Bus code is not seen by default,
which should avoid collateral damages until it has been proven stable.
I've developed and tested it under GNU/Linux; but D-Bus implementations
exist also for Win32 and MacOS.

An overview of D-Bus can be found at http://dbus.freedesktop.org. I've
summarized it also in a previous message
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-09/msg00315.html).
doc/misc/dbus.texi contains several examples showing what is possible
already.

Are there any objections to install it in the trunk?

Best regards, Michael.