Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: nnmaildir, nnnil licenses
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:56:32 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:

>     gnus/nnmaildir and nnnil describe themselves as "public domain", yet
>     also contain the standard Emacs GPL license text. That's a little
>     confusing, and I suggest removing the GPL text if these files are
>     indeed in the public domain.
>
> Can you check where they actually came from and how they were
> contributed?

Both files were written by Paul Jarc, and originally added as part of Gnus.

copyright.list contains an entry:

  GNUS    Paul Jarc       2001-10-02
  Disclaims changes (changed message.el, added nnmaildir.el)

so nnmaildir seems clear.

nnnil is almost a trivial file IMO. In any case, it would seem his
above disclaimer covers it, yes?

He also has an assignment for Emacs on file, but I guess since these
files were added to Gnus first, they are disclaimed rather than assigned.