Re: Should save-match-data bind inhibit-changing-match-data to nil?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Should save-match-data bind inhibit-changing-match-data to nil?
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 17:31:51 -0500

    Hi, I was thinking about using inhibit-changing-match-data in replace.el
    for a number of things.  Now the tricky part is what to do with
    operations that can lead to the user switching windows and similar?  It
    is an obvious fix to wrap them in save-match-data.  But one would need
    to set inhibit-changing-match-data to t at the same time.

Could you give an example of the sort of scenario are you concerned with here?
Which operations are these?

    Is this something that save-match-data could/should do in general?

Sorry, I don't follow.  What is your proposal?