Re: unused local variables

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: unused local variables
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:14:12 +0100

On Nov 30, 2007 10:59 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

> I consider this quite reasonable.  If my-dynamic-var is used for passing
> information across function boundaries, it deserves being declared in
> the same scope.

I don't know whether it is reasonable, but it is a departure of the current use.

The docstring of `defvar' clearly says:

"Define symbol as a variable, and return symbol.
You are not required to define a variable in order to use it,
but the definition can supply documentation and an initial value
in a way that tags can recognize."

Getting a warning is tantamount to be required to define it...

Now, I'm all for lexically scoped Lisp and (declare (special
mydynamic-var)) and the like, but clearly that's not the route elisp
is following.

             Juanma