Re: Fwd: Patch for sgml-mode.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: Patch for sgml-mode.el
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 22:16:20 -0500

>> Does the patch below fix those problems?
> Well, it probably does, but does the incompatible change of allowing
> mode-name to be a non-string bring any benefits?

The obvious one: no need to manually recompute the string when one of
its constituents changes.  I.e. sgml-xml-mode does not need to know that
enabling/disabling it can change the mode-name from/to SGML/XML or
HTML/XHTML.  Cleaner code, more obviously correct.

If you look at what Ibuffer does with its mode-name, you'll see that it
might also benefit from using this feature (tho I guess using
mode-line-process could be better so that the annotations don't show up
in the buffer's mode name in buffer lists).

        Stefan