Re: remember(-diary).el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 11:06:08 +0200

> From: Michael Olson <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:11:40 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> I do hope that future Emacs packages will be allowed to advertise
> themselves as incompatible with Windows 98 rather than submit to this
> dreadful mangling of the namespace.

IMO, that's not possible at this time: lots of machines in the 3rd
world use Windows 9x, so limiting their support by Emacs would be not
nice on our part, especially if the reasons are aesthetic.  Note that
Emacs already fails to support some of the features that cannot be
supported on Windows 9x for technical reasons, like hard links,
Unicode-based clipboard operations, etc.

> Is this information about the underlying filesystem available in
> some way to Emacs Lisp programs?

We could make it available quite easily, but what do you suggest the
application code does with this information?