Re: M-! in dired-mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: M-! in dired-mode
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 10:28:40 +0100

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> M-! runs `shell-command' in `dired-mode'.  However, I cannot figure
>> when it runs on file under point and when without a file at all, it
>> seems to be completely random.  I mean, the buffer prompt does
>> unambigously say whether it will be run on a file or not, but that
>> prompt itself varies for no apparent reason and I couldn't find
>> anything in help...
>>
>> Can anyone enlighten me (or just point to correct info node)?
>
> `M-!' doesn't operate on dired files, but ! operates on files under
> point with the prompt displaying their names.  So there is a clear
> distinction: `!' works only in dired on its files, and `M-!' is a global
> command.

I would have wanted to write the same, however:

    M-! (translated from <escape> !) runs the command dired-smart-shell-command
      which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `dired-x.el'.
    It is bound to M-!.
    (dired-smart-shell-command CMD &optional INSERT)

    Like function `shell-command', but in the current Virtual Dired directory.

So I don't really know what that does.