Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: syncing from Emacs to Gnus
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 00:22:45 +0100

On Sat, Dec 01 2007, Glenn Morris wrote:

> Perhaps you only want to sync the files from the lisp/gnus directory
> in Emacs to Gnus? In other words, stop syncing files once they get
> moved out of the gnus/ directory? Have a static "contrib" directory
> in Gnus, or something, that provides the files if they are not
> already in the Emacs distribution... Just an idea.

I don't think that will work out in the long run.

(1) When enhancing some Gnus functionality, we often need to modify
    Gnus files as well as library files.  Example: Some change in
    nnimap.el might need a change in imap.el as well (e.g. adding a
    new optional argument).  Even if imap.el would not be in the main
    Gnus lisp directory, we'd need to modify it.  This would lead to
    diverging versions of the same file and thus it would defeat the
    purpose of the sync.  Integrating new Gnus versions in Emacs would
    become very painful again.

(2) If bug fixes are applied in Emacs CVS, they should be synched to
    Gnus as well.

(3) Which files are already in Emacs depends on the Emacs version
    (Emacs 21, 22, 23).  So figuring out which additional files are
    required is not straight forward.

For me, keeping the bi-directional sync intact was a premise to
support moving files out of lisp/gnus.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,