Re: declare-function in files from Gnus (hashcash.el, imap.el)

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: declare-function in files from Gnus (hashcash.el, imap.el)
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:33:03 +0900

Ralf Angeli writes:

 > * Stephen J. Turnbull (2007-12-01) writes:
 >
 > > Specifically, in an XEmacs package's Makefile, there is a Make
 > > variable REQUIRES which is set to a list of packages used but not
 > > actually `require'd by the package being compiled.  This of course
 > > only works if the functions are autoloaded in the normal environment,
 > > so what setting REQUIRES does is to arrange to load the autoloads of
 > > those packages.
 >
 > Problem is that the code of the external packages is usually not
 > available when compiling Emacs.

That's the rationale for XEmacs's `declare-fboundp', which is intended
to support the preferences of external maintainers, and to some extent
features missing from 21.4.  But I thought there aren't supposed to be
external Lisp packages that can be used to build Emacs, they're all
included.  If such a situation is necessary, it's considered not a
good thing (add the needed library to Emacs or refactor to put the
needed function in the "right" library), and a warning *should* be
generated until the developers fix the problem.