Re: remember(-diary).el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 06:22:11 +0200

> From: Michael Olson <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 20:05:23 -0500
>
> An additional use case for this code is to detect whether the underlying
> file system supports file modification times.

That is unrelated to the numeric tails, even if it were a problem (see
below).

> I'm not entirely certain
> of this, but I think that at least some variants of FAT, perhaps all, do
> not support them.  One of the programs I maintain (not part of Emacs
> yet) relies on file modification times in order to accurately determine
> which files need to have their contents updated after a corresponding
> change to a "source" file.

I'm not aware of any filesystem that does not support file
modification time.  Even plain DOS supports them, and Windows 9x as
well, of course.  Maybe you mean creation and access times?  Those are
supported by Windows 9x VFAT filesystem, though (but not by DOS).