Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: D-Bus integration into Emacs
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 09:51:08 +0100

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:

>  > I've committed the files to the trunk. In order to activate D-Bus
>  > integration, one must apply "./configure --with-dbus". It's tested under
>  > GNU/Linux only, but there seem to exist D-Bus implementations for Mac OS
>  > X and Win32 as well.
>
> If someone has D-Bus on their OS would they want to configure Emacs without
> it?  Shouldn't configure just check for this feature and configure Emacs
> to use it if found, as is done with most other features?

I agree, this should be the target. But I've made it configurable for
two reasons:

- The integration touches sensible parts of Emacs, like event
  handling. I didn't want to stall everybody due to a possible
  error. It works stable in my local environment, but before enabling
  it wherever D-Bus exist, there should be kind of feedback from other
  people.

- I've tested it only for GNU/Linux (Ubuntu 7.04/7.10, to be precise).
  I have no idea how it works on other platforms, like Mac OS X or
  Win32. For example, the D-Bus API offers Win32 specific functions
  I'll never be able to test. See dbus_connection_get_unix_user vs
  dbus_connection_get_windows_user in the API.

So I propose to wait at least some weeks (until the end of this
year?), whether there are serious drawbacks. If not, we could remove
the configuration option "with-dbus".

Best regards, Michael.