Re: remember(-diary).el

From: Michael Olson
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 10:13:34 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Michael Olson <address@hidden>
>> I want to be able to pop up a warning window upon loading a file
>> (this window can be disabled by the user) which tells people of the
>> issue, and which registry key to change in order for it not to be a
>> problem anymore.
>
> That's be harassing the user, a very un-Emacsy thing to do, IMO.

I don't think of it as harassing the user -- if something has
nondeterministic behavior whenever its source code gets checked out, I
want to warn people about it.  Obviously the message that appears would
need to be invective-free and informative.  And since it appears during
load, it needs to contain instructions for how to disable the display of
the message.

As for un-Emacsy, perhaps.  Nonetheless, since the particular program
that I have in mind writes a lot of files, which each produce a message,
it is the case that warning windows are the best way to indicate that an
error has occurred, or that an error may be likely to occur.

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |