Re: remember(-diary).el

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: remember(-diary).el
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 16:44:06 +0100

Michael Olson wrote:
Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

From: Michael Olson <address@hidden>
I want to be able to pop up a warning window upon loading a file
(this window can be disabled by the user) which tells people of the
issue, and which registry key to change in order for it not to be a
problem anymore.
That's be harassing the user, a very un-Emacsy thing to do, IMO.

I don't think of it as harassing the user -- if something has
nondeterministic behavior whenever its source code gets checked out, I
want to warn people about it.  Obviously the message that appears would
need to be invective-free and informative.  And since it appears during
load, it needs to contain instructions for how to disable the display of
the message.

One may feel differently about this, but for me it sounds like the right thing to do in a case like this. It is however very important that the message is (very) easy to turn off - and that the information in the message is easy to find again.

Actually I believe that this way of handling the problem is what computer users expects today. However I also agree with Eli that it could be harassing the user. It must be used with caution.

I have tried to avoid this as much as possible (though I felt a bit differently in the beginning). In one important case I use it now. It is for a package where you do not get the full benefit of it unless you turn on some things that may influence Emacs outside of that package too. I then inform the user of that this way, using display-buffer to show the message and from there the user can turn on those things or just choose not to see the message any more.