Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 22:17:52 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> I don't see this as a big problem in this case: this file is useless
> for other applications, and almost unreadable by humans.  I use this
> feature all the time, and I only looked at the file perhaps once or
> twice.  It's just a huge Lisp expression.

It's not useless for other applications; they could parse it.
However, I don't know of any actual examples of other applications
doing that, so my argument isn't terribly compelling.

>>    1. write it out using utf-8 on the trunk (Emacs 23) line
>>    2. write it out using emacs-mule on the Emacs 22 line
>>    3. make sure that saveplace.el reads the coding system from the
>>       first line of the file and uses that to interpret the rest of
>>       the file
>>
>> Does this seem reasonable to you?
>
> Yes.
>
>> (I'm not volunteering for (2) or (3), unfortunately.
>
> Too bad.

Further testing indicates that we get (3) for free (probably due to
the way `find-operation-coding-system' works?).  So I've implemented
(2) now, and I think that means this is done.

   /cvsroot/emacs/emacs/lisp/saveplace.el,v  <--  saveplace.el
   new revision: 1.37.2.2; previous revision: 1.37.2.1

The upgrade from Emacs 22 to later versions should go smoothly, since
Emacs will always read with the coding system specified by the file,
and write whatever that version of Emacs should write.  (And in fact,
even downgrading is unlikely to result in problems, since either utf-8
or emacs-mule will work in the common cases for both versions.)

-Karl