Re: Pcompletion for ssh and scp

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Pcompletion for ssh and scp
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 00:27:13 -0600

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:10:34 -0500, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> said:

>> hostnames. It also assumes that each hostname is followed by either a
>> space or a comma, which is the case on the systems I've checked but
>> may not be a universal rule.

> All my known_hosts files have "hostnames" that are encoded in the
> following way:

1> bXOTR5GrVkVH4ABavbfZ7f2G0EQ=|drXHp56kwVXBTdc/f92649SXiTw=

> I don't know how widespread this is, but I haven't made anything
> special to get them: I'm using the standard Debian package without any
> special configuation in this respect, so for your feature to be useful
> I think it needs to handle this case.

        If you do not want your hosts to be hashed, you need to add the
 following lines to your ~/.ssh/config:
Host *
 HashKnownHosts no

        I have found that various completion utilities (zsh has one as
 well) work better if I do not have hashing turned on.

        Since this is a user configurable option, perhaps it is OK for
 pcompletion to work for people who have actively turned host hqshing
 off, even if it does not handle hashed hosts?

        manoj
--
Oh, I've seen copies [of Linux Journal] around the terminal room at The
Labs. Dennis Ritchie