Re: doc-view and mailcap

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: doc-view and mailcap
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 21:02:57 +0100

[ Adding ding again.  Tassilo, please don't strip ding as long as
  this thread is closely related to Gnus.  Thanks. ]

On Wed, Dec 05 2007, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:
>>> PDF, PostScript and DVI files are usually A4 (or letter) paper sized
>>> documents.  Displaying them in the article buffer doesn't seem useful
>>> to me.  My personal preference would be a new Emacs frame.
>>
>> Large images get attached to the messages already, and Gnus displays
>> them inline just fine.

At least by default it doesn't display them inline, see
`mm-inline-large-images'.  I toggled it and tried to view a wide image
(the frame is 80 chars wide).  I couldn't figure out how to view the
right hand side part of the image conveniently.  The best I could
think of was `scroll-left'.  (I used `i image' in the Emacs manual.)

> But the difference is that the images are just there and can be
> displayed immediately whereas pdfs and such have to be converted first.

Good point.

> I don't think it would be good to unconditionally start a conversion run
> if a document is attached with disposition type `inline'.

I don't think any MUA in the wild sends PDFs as disposition=inline (of
course you can do with Gnus).

> And if the user has to type a key first to start the conversion and
> inline the images I cannot see a big benefit.
>
>> I think when the disposition type is `inline' we should try to display
>> it inline in the same article buffer if possible.
>
> I think it wouldn't be hard to add a function to doc-view that inserts
> the images into the current buffer, but we'd loose (or have to
> re-implement) all those nice features like searching or image-scrolling.

I'd suggest to implement viewing in an extra buffer first.  I think
it's not worth the trouble to implement inline display in the article
buffer.  But if someone wants to do it...

>> Could you also look at the problem of moving mailcap.el and its
>> related files out of Gnus?

Which are the related files?  (mailcap.el doesn't require any other
packages after my changes.)

>> It seems an appropriate directory for them is `lisp/mail' or
>> `lisp/net'.  Do you see a better directory?

I don't have a strong opinion on this.

[ IIRC, Miles should be back soon, so hopefully the change are synced
  within a couple of days. ]

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,