Re: diff-mode misinterprets empty lines.

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: diff-mode misinterprets empty lines.
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 22:04:01 +0100

On Dec 5, 2007 6:45 PM, Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:

> But if 'diff' output contains unnecessary trailing white
> space, the highlighted white space turns into false alarms on your
> screen.  In general, a false alarm is a bad thing: either it causes
> you to turn off the alarm mechanism, or it causes you to ignore
> similar alarms in the future.

Or it makes you add

 (add-hook 'diff-mode-hook (lambda () (setq show-trailing-whitespace nil)))

to your .emacs if it really bothers you. This is not "to turn off the
alarm mechanism", but rather than having it activated for patches is a
mistake, because patches are not text (as David has said).

> I've used this format for many months now, for patches that I send via
> email.  No problems have been reported with these patches.  And I send
> out my fair share of patches.

Again, I agree with David: I've installed quite a few patches, and
I've never reported back problems with them if I could trivially fix
them. Lack of complains is not a positive proof.

             Juanma