Re: scroll-conservatively default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: scroll-conservatively default
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 23:13:47 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:10:22 +0100
>> Cc: Leo <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>>
>> Emacs' keybindings in connection with the scrolling behavior don't help
>> (vi has extra keybindings C-e and C-y for scrolling without moving
>> point).
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but if I do, you can, of
> course, have this in Emacs.  I have the following keybindings in my
> .emacs since about forever:
>
>   (global-set-key "\C-z" (function (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-up 1))))
>   (global-set-key "\M-z" (function (lambda () (interactive) (scroll-down 1))))
>
> (If you like to iconify Emacs, use C-x C-z instead of C-z that is taken
> by the above.)

Sure, I can have this in Emacs.  So can you.  But will a rank beginner
pick suitable bindings and create interactive functions on his own?

If we count my usage of --without-toolkit-scrollbars as one attempt of
getting a fine-grained control over window-start, that is third report
where the default keybindings and scroll behaviors are unproductive
enough to actually cause people to code (or compile) around them.

That is a road not apparent to the rank beginner.  So perhaps if the
majority is satisfied with the general scrolling behavior and just wants
a separate window-start adjustment, we should think about a way to
provide.  Maybe a reasonable starting point would be to bind
scroll-lock-mode by default to <Scroll_Lock>: there is not much point in
a different default binding, is there?  And currently it appears
unbound.  I am not saying that this will put the problem behind us, but
it appears like it could help some people without causing any harm.