Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 12:18:38 -0500

    > Why do you want to save at such long intervals? Is there a performance
    > problem with just using the idle timer? [...]

    Disk spin-up on laaptops comes to mind. The longer the intervals the
    longer bettery (and disk!) life.

That is a valid argument.  So I guess it makes sense to have a certain
minimum time between saves, as well as a certain maximum time.
The minimum time could be implemented by a real time timer
which activates the idle timer.  The maximum time could be implemented
by another real time timer which directly causes a save.
When a save happens it should reinitialize all the timers

    That argument applies to any auto-save, not just desktop. I'm trying to
work
    out why one would want one interval for auto-save and another for desktop
    save.

That is true.  Should we have this feature for auto-saves too?