Re: Feature request: permanent-local values in hooks buffer local values

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Feature request: permanent-local values in hooks buffer local values
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 16:24:56 +0100

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Richard Stallman wrote:
    Then in `flymake-mode' a call to the functions
`flymake-add-survivor' and `flymake-remove-survivor \(which was defined by the macro called above) must be done.

This seems like a very cumbersome interface.  I think it is very
unclean to dynamically change `permanent-local' properties.  That's
the sort of thing that we are sure to regret.

We should use my mechanism instead.  It is simple and clean.

That is very fine with me.

I suggest then adding something like this to the end of add-hook:

    (when (and local
               (get function 'permanent-local-in-hooks))
      (put hook 'permanent-local-hook t)

Then in kill-local-variables check for the property 'permanent-local-hook and handle the hook accordingly.

I can see no reasonable way to remove the property 'permanent-local-hook from the hook variable. (The problem is that properties do not have buffer local values. It could be simulated by having a buffer local variable carrying the propery, but I see no reason to make it that complicated.)

    (when (and local
               (and (symbolp function))