Re: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:27:32 +0200

> After about 30 hours, saving the desktop had accumulated about 50s of time
> this way. That seems a reasonable amount to me. I have 137 buffers in my
> session, and my desktop file is about 38,000 bytes long. Hence, I suggest
> that a simple feature "Auto-save desktop" which adds
> desktop-save-in-desktop-dir to auto-save-hook, would satisfy most people
> likely to use this feature. Furthermore those concerned about power usage
> and disk spin-up only have to worry about the same Emacs feature
> (auto-save-hook), and not add another hook or function to their list of
> things to tweak.

For users with small desktop files this simple solution could be
satisfactory.  Who doesn't like it, can disable auto-saving and
add a pair of lines to .emacs with an explicit non-idle timer.

A separate question is whether to auto-save the desktop using
auto-save-hook by default or not.  Perhaps not if it can cause
potential problems for users.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/