RE: desktop.el: autosave?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: desktop.el: autosave?
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2007 16:50:22 -0800

> I think this is a nice default if desktop is active. Of course, desktop
> itself is not switched on by default. I don't think it will cause
> problems for many users; those who don't like it can switch it off,
> of course. It seems reasonable to have it on by defaut, just like
> auto-save for files is on by default.

I don't use it. How does it work if you have multiple Emacs sessions open at
the same time, perhaps using different Emacs versions. And then you close
them at various times. Is there a separate desktop saved for each? How is
this handled and configured?

This is likely documented, but since a change is being proposed to the
default behavior, perhaps someone could summarize here the behavior and
consequences for users who don't currently use desktop. Thx.