Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 23:35:05 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
Be very careful.  In particular, the natural idea of migrating by
custom-file caused no end of pain to users when it was implemented in
XEmacs.  If there is any error in the init file, you can lose all
customizations.
Then it might be best to avoid automatic migration, but to give a
command to migrate custom data to custom-file.

I don't see the problem, if it's understood that `custom-file' would not be
loaded automatically, but only when (where) the user requests via (load-file
custom-file).

If you do not mean that custom-file should be loaded automatically then I must have misunderstood you. I thought it would be a good idea to by default have custom-file separate, but as Jason points out there was probably a good reason why this was not done from the beginning. Though I can't remember that reason now. Maybe it had something to do with the order of loading? Maybe it was some problem with custom-set-variables from the beginning?