Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:19:52 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:
`custom-file' would not be loaded automatically, but only
when (where) the user requests via (load-file custom-file).
If you do not mean that custom-file should be loaded automatically then
I must have misunderstood you.

Yes, I think you did. I said that `custom-file' would be loaded explicitly:
(load-file custom-file). Just as it is now. All I proposed was that any
Customize stuff currently in `user-init-file' should be moved to
`custom-file'.

If custom-file is not loaded by default then it makes it even more difficult for users so I think it have to be loaded by default.

If something has to be done before custom-file I would prefer a separate file, .pre-custom-emacs or something. The only thing I believe would have to go there is actually the name of custom-file (if the user wants to change it).

Though I can't remember that reason now. Maybe it had something
to do with the order of loading? Maybe it was some problem
with custom-set-variables from the beginning?

Maybe those maybe's don't help. What about the order of loading? With an
explicit (load-file custom-file), you can have any order you like. What
problem with custom-set-variables from the beginning?

It was probably me misunderstanding custom-set-variables from the beginning. I just do not remember at the moment.