Re: Uninformative comment in files.el

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: Uninformative comment in files.el
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 23:05:06 +0100

Could whoever installed the following change:

   2007-12-10  Yoni Rabkin Katzenell  <address@hidden>  (tiny change)
   * file.el (revert-buffer): Eliminate overlays and the mark.

replace the comment "Reset the mark and remove all overlays" which just
paraphrases the code, with a comment that actually explains why we
want/need to do that?

This is not explained in etc/TODO file.

The patch refers to this line in etc/TODO file:

   ** revert-buffer should eliminate overlays and the mark.

Does anyone know why this is necessary?

I'm afraid the patch installed is overly simplistic.  You can find out
more by looking at the thread starting with

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2005-11/msg01346.html

For the moment I'd strongly propose to revert the change and study the
problem in more depth.