Re: Feature request: A way to get a traceback to a buffer or a string

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Feature request: A way to get a traceback to a buffer or a string
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 17:52:56 -0500

    I have used this in fontification routines to get a backtrace. At least
    on w32 you need to do something like this when you want a backtrace when
    an error happens in a timer.

What is the scenario where you want to get a backtrace when an error
happens in a timer?  Is this something you want during a particular
debugging session when a bug causes an error in that timer function?
So you would insert that macro temporarily just while debugging?

If so, I can see why it is useful, but is this interface the idea one
for the job?  Or would you prefer to have a feature where you could
put a certain timer function's name on a list and then errors in
that timer function would not be caught at all?