Re: comment-add

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: comment-add
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:36:58 -0500

Would someone please look at this bug, and ack?

From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:34:54 +0100

> To help me reproduce the problem, could you please post a *precise*
> test case for this bug?

1. emacs -Q

2. Goto buffer *scratch*

3. M-x outline-minor-mode

4. Insert:

(defun foo ()
  (do-this)
  (do-that)
  (do-another-thing))

The "(defun foo ()" is matched by outline-regexp.

5. Mark the whole function foo and do M-x comment-region.  This results
in:

;;; (defun foo ()
;;;   (do-this)
;;;   (do-that)
;;;   (do-another-thing))

Now the ";;; (defun foo ()" is still matched by outline-regexp.  That's
the difference between the new default comment-style `indent-or-triple'
and the old default `indent'.

> Also please say exactly what incorrect results you get.

I don't know if having differences in what commented text is matched by
outline-regexp qualifies as a bug, but ideally switching comment-style
shouldn't change that.  So the comment-style `indent-or-triple' should
ensure that ;;; is followed by more than one space if it starts at
column 0.

Bye,
Tassilo