-fomit-frame-pointer lossage FYI

From: Mike Mattie
Subject: -fomit-frame-pointer lossage FYI
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 03:38:34 -0800

Hello,

I was going to report a problem with laggy scrolling in emacs through the usual
channels. While rebuilding
emacs to narrow down the problem I discovered that my package manager was
building with -fomit-frame-pointer.
I like debugging so I killed the flag. To my joy it eliminated my scrolling
problem entirely. The profiling
graphs differed significantly between emacs compiled with and without the flag.
It was not simply the hot-spots
which were similar but it looked like the call-paths changed.

I am using gcc 4.2.2, emacs 23.0.60, on i686-pc-gnu-linux. This is not a
problem report, just a FYI that
-fomit-frame-pointer may cause serious problems with emacs. If this is not
already known to the emacs developers
then I hope this tidbit helps other users/developers.

Cheers,
Mike mattie