Re: -fomit-frame-pointer lossage FYI

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: -fomit-frame-pointer lossage FYI
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 03:25:06 -0500

    I was going to report a problem with laggy scrolling in emacs
    through the u= sual channels. While rebuilding emacs to narrow
    down the problem I discovered that my package manager was b=
    uilding with -fomit-frame-pointer.  I like debugging so I killed
    the flag. To my joy it eliminated my scrolling= problem entirely.

That probably means a real bug in either Emacs or GCC.
Unfortunately there is no way to know which except by
tracking down the specific cause.

Could you try to do this?

The first step is to try compiling various subsets of Emacs' files
with -fomit-frame-pointer, and see which file is the cause of the
problem.  Then by splitting that file at various points you can find
out which function is the cause of the problem.  Once we know that,
maybe we can spot the problem by eyeballing it.