Re: Bug in nxml-mode (indentation)?

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Bug in nxml-mode (indentation)?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:52:47 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Eric Lilja wrote:

The text enclosed within an element should not be indented at all,
unless the user explicitly says so, or the user is using some
specialization of nxml-mode, such as xhtml-mode, where it is known that
the application will normalize whitespace.

Elements and attributes can be indented as normal, as whitespace is not
significant there.

What about the case when you open two tags on the same line. Here's an example file, first indented using xml-mode and then with nxml-mode:

xml-mode:
<outermost>
  <firstinner><secondinner>Some Text
    </secondinner>
    Some more text
  </firstinner>
</outermost>

nxml-mode:
<outermost>
  <firstinner><secondinner>Some Text
</secondinner>
Some more text
  </firstinner>
</outermost>

To me, the nxml-mode version looks weird indeed. The closing </secondinner> is not indented at all for one thing. But as I said, I'm new at this so I'm just reporting things that might be useful information to someone.

I wish I could set a flag that makes the indentation not care about xpath/xquery and indent like the old xml-mode. :)