RE: view-mode exit hook?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: view-mode exit hook?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:24:26 -0800

> > I wasn't suggesting to use `view-mode-hook'. As I noted, that
> > is run only upon entering the mode. I don't know whether
> > view-mode manages to keep track of window configs - I thought
> > it did, but that's beside the point here. What would be
> > needed in this case would be restoring the frame config, not
> > a window config. _If_ that were feasible.
>
> If you want to restore the frame configuration you have to save it first.
> Where do you want to do that?  All I said was that `view-mode-hook' might
> be the wrong place.

I don't want to save and restore it. I'm not trying to redesign view-mode.
If you have an idea for that, fine; I'm not proposing one.

I've said that I don't understand view-mode - especially its convoluted
attempts to deal with remembering past contexts, trying to restore the right
context in various scenarios, and all that. I won't get involved with that.
If someone who does understand all that and is interested in this issue
wants to tackle it to provide better behavior, fine. I'm not up to that
task.

I'm only asking a question about how users should deal with this kind of
thing, what might be the recommended practice in this case. That's all.

And, especially if there is no good answer (recommendation), I'm asking
whether we should perhaps have a `view-mode-exit-hook'. This last question
can make sense regardless of whether someone undertakes to make view-mode
always DTRT wrt final frame configuration (if a consensus could even be
reached about what that might mean).

> > If the frame cannot be restored, I'm happy to deal with this by
> > fitting the frame again upon view-mode exit, even though that is less
> > desirable for a user than putting back the frame parameters s?he had
> > before view-mode.
> >
> > I don't want to go near `view-exit-action', if I can avoid it.
> > That code is far too complicated for a mortal such as I. I did think
> > that I could recuperate the current value of `view-exit-action' and
> > then tack my function call onto it, but that seems quite ugly. I'd
> > sooner advise `view-mode-exit', I think (and I don't like to use
> > advice either).
> >
> > I was looking for a simple and clean way to go, such as a hook.
> >
> > Does it make sense for Emacs to have a `view-mode-exit-hook'?
>
> You can always think of `view-exit-action' as doing that.  For example,
> there's no harm setting `view-exit-action' to a function that restores
> a frame configuration saved earlier.  The question remains _which_ frame
> configuration you want to restore.

`view-exit-action' is not currently a no-op, AFAICT. So adding the feature
of fitting the frame would not simply be a matter of setting or binding
`view-exit-action' to a `fit-frame' function. It would instead mean _adding_
frame fitting to whatever `view-exit-action' might already be doing. And
that "whatever" is different, IIUC, depending on how view-mode is exited,
and even, I think, depending on how view-mode was entered. (Again, I don't
master that code, nor do I want to.)

`view-exit-action' is not simply a hook; it is more complex (and perhaps
more fragile). As I said, I can imagine tacking `fit-frame' onto whatever
`view-exit-action' does already, but I'd sooner advise `view-mode-exit'. And
neither of those prospects looks particularly appealing (clean) to me.

>From what I've heard so far, there seems to be no recommended way to handle
this kind of thing. In that case, I ask again, shouldn't there be a
`view-mode-exit-hook'?