RE: custom type `color' is not enforced

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: custom type `color' is not enforced
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 22:47:39 -0800

>     Don't assume that the user knows just which option s?he wants
>     to describe. `describe-variable' gives you only one way, by
>     option name, to define a set of candidate options, in order
>     to pick one to describe.
>
> I'm not assuming that.  Rather, I don't think very many people
> would take the trouble to remember that `describe-option-of-type'
> exists.  Thus, practically speaking it would not be very useful.

It needs a binding, yes. Not very many people would have learned or would
remember several of the help commands if they were not bound.

FWIW, in my code, I use these bindings in `help-map':

`o'   for `describe-option'  (= `describe-variable' with prefix arg)
`C-o' for `describe-option-of-type'
`c'   for `describe-command' (= `describe-function' with prefix arg)

(`describe-key-briefly' is `C-c'.)