Re: 23.0.50; XML conf file

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; XML conf file
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:43:49 +0100

Am 22.12.2007 um 07:30 schrieb Richard Stallman:

Did someone fix this?

I did not receive any eMail yet.

Would you please remind people about this once a week until they fix it?

OK, I can support you in doing this!

Can you try to fix it?

No. My ability to programme in Lisp is almost not existing. I can look into files.el, which sets auto-mode-alist at some time, probably I would not find an improvement.

Can it be that conf-mode comes too early into play? Wouldn't it make more sense to first check the type of a file, and when it is something not binary and not XML (i.e. something fundamental) then the file's name and extension are checked? I found the bug with /etc/ fonts/fonts.conf, in case someone needs an object to work on.

Maybe adding

        ("<\\?xml" . xml-mode)

to magic-mode-alist, also in files.el, can correct this. By default it's empty ... How are PS, PDF, ... XML determined? Ah, I see now: magic-fallback-mode-alist. And it comes one step too late!

--
Greetings

  Pete

                  Sorry my terrible English, my native language Lisp!