Re: C-u prefix behavior of TAB broken

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: C-u prefix behavior of TAB broken
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 23:08:44 +0100

>     FWIW all indent-line-functions with the exception of `lisp-indent-line'
>     either don't have arguments or, like `c-indent-line', `f90-indent-line',
>     and `(c)perl-indent-line' expect completely different arguments here.
>     Hence a generic solution seems hardly practicable.
>
> Could you name one or two, so I can take a look and see specifically what
> you mean?

I meant that

(defun lisp-indent-line (&optional whole-exp)

takes one optional argument `whole-exp' that implements the feature.

(defun c-indent-line (&optional syntax quiet ignore-point-pos)

takes three completely unrelated arguments and won't implement the
feature.

(defun python-indent-line ()

takes no argument at all and won't implement the feature either.

All this based on the assumption that `indent-for-tab-command' with a
prefix argument would pass something like `whole-exp' down to the
indent-line function of the major mode and have the latter do the job.

Miles elegantly side-stepped the issue in his patch by implementing the
feature within `indent-for-tab-command' so my argument is void.