Re: "Attempt to modify read-only object" error with set-frame-configurat

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: "Attempt to modify read-only object" error with set-frame-configuration
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 23:05:07 +0100

> This is where I ran out of time.  Someone, please continue debugging.

I was able to remove both bugs - the `horizontal-scroll-bars' and the
`visibility' related one - with the attached patch.  I'm not sure
whether this causes a supposedly invisible or iconified frame to appear
(shortly before the actual parameters are applied) but at least seems to
identify the origin of the bug.
*** frame.el.~1.265.~   Thu Nov 22 14:50:36 2007
--- frame.el    Mon Dec 24 22:49:32 2007
***************
*** 196,202 ****
  (defvar frame-initial-frame nil)

  ;; Record the parameters used in frame-initialize to make the initial frame.
! (defvar frame-initial-frame-alist)

  (defvar frame-initial-geometry-arguments nil)

--- 196,202 ----
  (defvar frame-initial-frame nil)

  ;; Record the parameters used in frame-initialize to make the initial frame.
! (defvar frame-initial-frame-alist nil)

  (defvar frame-initial-geometry-arguments nil)

***************
*** 221,236 ****
            (progn
              (setq frame-initial-frame-alist
                    (append initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist nil))
-             (or (assq 'horizontal-scroll-bars frame-initial-frame-alist)
-                 (setq frame-initial-frame-alist
-                       (cons '(horizontal-scroll-bars . t)
-                             frame-initial-frame-alist)))
              (setq frame-initial-frame-alist
!                   (cons (cons 'window-system initial-window-system)
!                         frame-initial-frame-alist))
              (setq default-minibuffer-frame
                    (setq frame-initial-frame
                          (make-frame frame-initial-frame-alist)))
              ;; Delete any specifications for window geometry parameters
              ;; so that we won't reapply them in frame-notice-user-settings.
              ;; It would be wrong to reapply them then,
--- 221,237 ----
            (progn
              (setq frame-initial-frame-alist
                    (append initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist nil))
              (setq frame-initial-frame-alist
!                   (if (eq initial-window-system 'w32)
!                       (list (cons 'window-system initial-window-system)
!                             (cons 'visibility t)
!                             frame-initial-frame-alist)
+