Re: doc-view support for bookmark.el

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view support for bookmark.el
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 15:42:07 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Stefan,

>> on emacs-sources there was a request for a bookmarking facility for
>> doc-view, so I added support for it in bookmark.el.
>
> Could we try and find a way to make the two packages independent:
> bookmark.el should provide a way for doc-view.el to override the
> behavior of bookmark commands in doc-view buffers.

Sure, a general interface would be a good idea.  Do you propose an one?

A simple approach could be to add 2 new variables

  - bookmark-make-cell-function: A function that creates the record part
    of the bookmark (default: the current bookmark-make-cell after
    renaming it appropriately)

  - bookmark-jump-function: A function that jumps to the given bookmark
    location without selecting it. (default: the current
    bookmark-jump-noselect)

What do you think?

And what about the other changes?  (Return value of
bookmark-jump-noselect and the adaption of its callers.)  If it's ok
I'll check it in now and omit the doc-view stuff till we agree on
general interface.

Bye,
Tassilo