Re: Improving X selection?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Improving X selection?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2007 16:13:25 -0500

Please forgive the delay in this response.  It was not easy for me to
read and understand your message, and I was rather rushed when it
arrived, so I put it off.  Now I have more time.

If I understand right, your scheme is that mouse clicks should set
and access the primary selection, but not the kill ring or the clipboard;
meanwhile, the kill ring keystroke commands should access the clipboard
in parallel with the kill ring.

Did I understand correctly?

I would not be entirely happy with that, because I would rather have
some way to interact with the primary selection from the keyboard.
However, I don't use selections very much in Emacs anyway, so
this might not be very important.

In any case, it can't hurt to add the new option
x-select-enable-primary, and your other changes, as options disabled
by default.  I've done that in the trunk.  Thank you.

The big question is the proposal to change the default.
I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions about this.

    If you've done the stuff in my previous mail, another IMHO useful
    change (that I use but I didn't include in the previous mail because
    it is a little more confusing if you don't expect it) is to make
    current-kill propagate its return back out via
    interprogram-cut-function if  N  > zero, and do-not-move is nil, and
    interprogram-cut-function is set.

That added idea sounds good.  I installed that in the trunk, under the
control of another option.