Re: linum.el?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: linum.el?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:42:05 -0500

    > can linum.el do the job using `set-window-redisplay-end-trigger'
    > instead of this hook?

    It doesn't seem so to me.

Why doesn't it work?  It seems to be intended for this job.

    In the DEFVAR_LISP line, I think it should read "&Vwindow..." instead of
    "Vwindow...". Also, the new approach doesn't necessarily reach a
    fixpoint, i.e., the number of restarts can be unbounded.

That is true.  The code should probably set a flag so that the hook
doesn't run a second time; that will be right as long as the hook
functions are sufficiently tame, and if they aren't, at least it
won't mess up internally.

    It still fails to trigger (at least) on widening and when jumping to the
    beginning of buffers. Could it be changed to trigger then too?

That surprises me; it seems to be trying to detect that.

I think we should first try to make `set-window-redisplay-end-trigger'
do the job, because if it does, it will do a better (more efficient)
job.  Why do you think that won't work?  If you're right, I'll work more
on this patch.