RE: Shouldn't custom.el load wid-edit.el?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Shouldn't custom.el load wid-edit.el?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 07:52:31 -0800

> >     Shouldn't custom.el, which defines `defcustom', load wid-edit.el?
> >
> > No!  We don't want to load wid-edit.el all the time.
> > We only load that when people start to make widgets.
>
> I do not know what you want at the moment, but I have this comment in
> color-test-sent.el
>
>    (require 'wid-edit) ;; for widget-convert, but why is not that in
>                        ;; widget.el?
>
> Is it widget-convert you want, or?

No. See my reply to Richard. I am not calling `widget-convert' or engaging
in any explicit widgetry at all. I just wrote a simple `defcustom'.

All I want is for `defcustom's :type expression to recognize the standard
types that are defined for Emacs by wid-edit.el - for example, `color'. It's
not a good thing for standard types not to be recognized by :type.

How the problem is fixed is a different problem. That you might not want to
load all of wid-edit.el unnecessarily is understandable. But it's not a
reason not to solve the problem (perhaps in another way).